1 cup cabbage cut in strips
1 carrot cut in strips
½ onion cut in strips
½ aubergine cut in strips
1 capsicum cut in strips
½ cup spring onion cut in strips
½ cup iced water
1 cup flour
Salt and black pepper to taste
Oil for deep frying
1. Put the cabbage, aubergine, carrot, capsicum, spring onion into a colander and sprinkle liberally with salt. Leave for about 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly under cold running water. Drain well.
2. Mix all the vegetable in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
For the batter
3. Mix the egg and iced water in a bowl, then sift in the flour. Mix briefly with a fork.
4. Add the vegetables to the batter and mix to combine. Heat oil in a wok.
5. Scoop up one heaped tablespoon of the mixture at a time and carefully lower it into the oil.
6. Deep fry in batches for about three minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
7. Serve with ketchup.