4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk
food coloring , if desired
1. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or generously spray with non stick spray.
2. Using a hand mixer mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add slowly to butter mixture on low speed. Do not overbeat! Only mix until flour is incorporated.
4. Form dough into big ball and place in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Roll out chilled dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter or you can use a pizza cutter and make squares or rectangles. Another option is to roll into a log and cut 1/4 inch thick slices.
6. Using a spatula, transfer to cookie sheets leaving about 1/2 inch between cookies.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool 10 minutes on cookie sheet and then transfer to cooling rack.
8. When cookies are cool, whisk together the icing ingredients and either dip the cookies or spread on cookies. You can smooth the icing with the back of a spoon.